My First Merit Badge Bike Ride (or, How I Relearned to Make a Cue Sheet)

We haven't had a chance to take an archery lesson - translation, I kept forgetting to email the local archery teacher this week about beginner lessons - and so today, in the absence of a new challenge, I decided to start ticking off on the cycling merit badge. The requirements for the badge are naturally more for the novice cyclist, so like other aspects of our journey, I plan to tailor the requirements to suit my level and desire for experiences and gaining knowledge.

I started out by making a cue sheet. For those of you unfamiliar with cycling, a cue sheet is a way of planning a ride. It entails the turns onto different roads and often incorporates the length of time spent riding on that road. I haven't made a cue sheet in years - my style of riding is more often to go out and go adventure cycling by taking turns onto roads previously undiscovered. However, I wanted this to fit in with the planning and preparedness aspects of being a Scout.


It was a really gorgeous ride - I decided to take some roads that I have never taken before on my bike. This allowed me to ride over by Jordan Lake early in the morning. While I encountered more cars than I would have liked, it was an incredible experience to get out and explore a place so close by that I never have ridden in all my time living here (side note: fellow cyclists, riding DOWN Lystra is way easier than riding UP Lystra).

Quick soapbox: at one point I passed an access point leading to trapping trails and a path down to the water. I was so excited - I love taking a break from riding to soak my feet in cool water - but after I turned around and went toward the access, I found the following:


Come on, guys. We're seriously better than this. And if we're not, we don't deserve all this beautiful planet has to offer us. I plan to come back here in the next week or so to clean up this pristine example of human sloth.

I got to spend this 33-mile ride thinking about lots of stuff, which I plan to expound upon in my Raven Scout journal. Things that annoy me when I'm cycling (people utilizing cell phones while driving; people who can't slow down long enough to safely get around a cyclist; humidity); things that I love about cycling (the ability to explore and see things from such a close, slow perspective; the feeling of my legs after a long climb; post-ride food); and things I can't wait to do this week (go for some swims; try a new recipe; go to Canada). I'm starting out on this journey on a familiar road, but I can't wait to explore those thus far not taken.



-Wolf




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insect Study Merit Badge

Today I began working on the Insect Study Merit badge! To begin with, you learn about the kingdom, phylum, and class of insects, along with the major orders and families.  You also label the parts of an insect. I also need to observe 20 insects in my area... I took it upon myself to sketch them in my journal.  I started with 6, but I'll keep observing until the badge is complete.  Here we have the common Black Carpenter Ant (Camponotus pennsylvanicus), the Green June Bug Beetle (Cotinis nitida), the Lady Bug Beetle (Coccinella magnifica), the Carpenter Bee (Xylocopa micans), the Green Darner Dragonfly (Anax junius), and the Paper Wasp (Polistes dominula). I did realize, that most of the photos I've taken while camping and hiking weren't insects... A black widow (Latrodectus hesperus) while we were camping at South Mountain State Park.... very poisonous. A flat millipede (Apheloria tigana) on a hike (seen both in South Mountain State Park...

Establishing the Raven Scouts

As we prepared for merit badge requirements, we also began reading about the Boy Scout Oath, Law, Motto, Slogan, Sign, Salute, and handshake... these figured fairly prominently in some of the merit badges so we wanted to have a firm grasp... we liked a lot of what we read, but didn't really feel like certain aspects were a great fit for what we were doing. It's important to remember we're amending something written for boys and we're adults... some of these tweaks are to be expected :)  Ultimately we felt that, in the spirit of this whole process, we should come up with our own oath, etc.   We also thought we might be able to approach this a bit more efficiently and combine some of the above... so we whittled it all down a bit and made it our own.  To start, I got us all cool journals to document everything we'd be doing. Before we get into what we created, it may be worthwhile to share the boy scout versions so you can have a basis for comparison. Scout Oat...